After watching the videos on Attention, Emotions and Learning, describe how this information impacts you as a teacher.
By working at an alternative high school, it become apparent that certain students have attitudes with different teachers. This isn't true for every one student or every one teacher, but I strongly suspect the students that have an aggressive tone with teachers do so because the communication or atmosphere within the class is stressful. I have personally talked to teachers that, I wouldn't consider mean, but communicate in a very direct and monotone manner and can only imagine how they speak when in the classroom. If the interactions, like the lessons indicates, increase scores then teachers should strive to be positive within their classrooms. I attempt to create an environment where communication is positive and always communicate accomplishments to students. This will just encourage me to do it more often.
Hi David,
ReplyDeleteTeachers need to really be observant of their students and watch for any issues that could be in the way of a student learning.
One good way is to greet students as they come in the classroom. Of course how they act in the classroom is important too.
Teachers do need to think about their tone and manner in the classroom. They may not realize they are coming across the way they are.
Teaching is not just standing at the front of the class lecturing on a topic!
Thanks!